Monday, April 13, 2009

Say No to Alcohol

Last Sunday's(5/4/09) long run was a total disaster. I knew it the moment

I started the run. The legs were way too slugish than they should have.

The calves were heavy and the hams were tense. Moreover, I could sense

that the breathing was much more labor than I used to when I started

climbing the first hill near the railway station. The 28Ker long run

ended up in lot and lot of walking and suffering.

After the run, I wondered why I did so poorly.

Noop, I didn't catch a flu and yeap, I did get some

sleep before the run.

Heck, I even had the seldom scheduled two days of no

running tapering before that long run.


WHAT THE HELL WENT WRONG?

Then, I rememebered that I did load a whole bottle of red wine followed

by some cans of beer(I didn't remember exactly how many, man, who would

remember that when they were fully intoxicated) on Friday night.


While I didn't drink a drop of alcohol the following day, it seemed

that the Friday's alcohol loading had done enough damage and I didn't quite

recover from that abuse before the long run.


Realizing that, I decided that I have trained too hard to be ruined by

some drinking problem, so I swore not to drink again, well, at least

not until the next time I drink again.


Seriously, I just want to know how much difference does it make

if I skip all those drinks.


While I don't have the full answer at hand yet, I might just have a glimpse

of the truth today.


On Saturday, I did a 30ker long run. I felt good for the whole run

and the finish was strong and fast. I certainly finished

the run with a clear feeling that I could have done better and faster and longer.

Yesterday (Sunday), I raced another pretty good 10Ker. It seemed that I

have recovered substantialy from the previous day's long run and was able

to race hard.


NOW I AM TOTALY SOLD ON THIS NO ALCOHOL PROPOSITION.




I wonder if one week of no drinking can do that much of magic,

how much more it would do if there is a one month,

or better still, one year,

or even better, the rest of my life,

of totally abstaining from it.



But whatever it is, I have to do better than

"swearing no drinking until the next time of drinking".


May my quit smoking experience helps me in achieving this, and

may the mantras


"Not another Sip"

"Take it one day at a time"


strengthened my mind the next time I feel the urge to

raise the mug again.


Crank on.

P/S: Okay, I will post the next time I drink again
and let's see how long that might be ...

No comments:

 
website-hit-counters.com
search engine optimization services