Tuesday, January 5, 2010

You've Just Made My Day

Have you ever been psyched out by an old runner who is much slower
than you?

I just did!


Last Sunday, when I was running toward the Bkt Aman car park on the
returning trip of the Hartamas loop, just right after crossing the
highway junction, I saw an old runner "jogged" in a turtle pace about
tens of meter ahead of me. Not wanting to cause any embarrassment
or paying any disrespect, I passed him silently and swiftly by
picking up the pace a few notch.


But after running pass that long stretch of undulating hills stored
after Selangor Property, fatigue set in rather quickly. I was
totally running out of steam, somehow, I just didn't feel like
running anymore (heck, I was supposed to be still in the Rest &
Recovery phase scheduled after that marathon race that almost
squeezed every last drop of performance out of me).

I took a quick glance around, making sure nobody was nearby, and
decided to take a walk (I am sure you know how embarrass it could be
for a runner to get caught walking.)

For the first time, I took the time to smell the rose and
seemingly thought that it wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Just as I was fully engrossed in enjoying the beautiful scenery
along the way, someone approached me fast and startled me by staying
way too close.

It was that same old man that I passed some time ago.


"Didn't you just overtake me a while ago?!"
(Something strong must have compelled him to approached me and asked
me this question, though I was't sure it was a question mark or an
exclamation mark. He was on the opposite of the road shoulder which
is two-line wide, mind you. May be it was that swift passing stunt
that I did a while ago really taunted him.)


"Ugh...I..I... ugh.., I just crashed and burnt"
I reply stutteringly.


"HeHeHeHe"
He literally laughed out loud while running ahead and
crossing the road onto the opposite site of the road shoulder,
leaving me with consternation.


And if you think that is the worst, you are wrong.

Just as I dragged my sorry ass slowly entering the car park entrance
after walking the remaining three km or so, Mr. Old Man was driving
out of the entrance and obviously saw me. He must have arrived 20
minutes or so ahead of me as he appeared to have taken a bath and
fully changed.

Though I pretended I didn't see him, I did notice that he was
shaking his head and was having that disdainful look on his face.
Somehow, I couldn't hold up my head.

Well, no doubt that he just made my day!


Crank on.

No comments:

 
website-hit-counters.com
search engine optimization services